Thursday 5 September 2013

Heading to California

Today I am heading off overseas for the the fourth time in seven months on my Nuffield travels.
This time the emphasis is on my study topic ,'The Synergies Synergies Between Between Arable And Dairy' - with a focus on nutrients.
I am looking forward to pulling the study together and meeting the people around the globe who are going to help me do that.
Of all the trips I have made in the last seven months, I would have to say that today was the hardest to leave home.

Nuffield is a great experience and it is not only about the individual but also the people around you. These are the people who have to take up the slack and deal with the day to day stuff going on, like the car that needs serviced, the drain thats blocked and mess to clean up after the river has ripped through the bottom paddock!
Heather is doing a great job holding the fort while I am tearing off around the world.   l'm Iooking forward to a settled year ( by our our standards ) next year !

The later part of the winter has been kind to us in Southland. This has this has taken pressure off feed supplies as the grass has started growing a month earlier than usual.
Ground preparation is also well underway for the spring sown cereals, although planting won't get underway for another fortnight at least.

Autumn sown crops are looking very good -almost too good, amd had a fungicide fungiciand the first shot of N.
So the plan for me is to be researching my study in the US, Canada and Europe before heading home on 11 October.

First stop will be spend four days in the Sacramento and Central Valley area before heading up to Alberta, Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment